Saturday 5 September 2015

Psalm 119

I read through Psalm 119 over the summer, paraphrasing each set of stanzas to begin with a different letter of the alphabet.  Not sure I really got the most benefit by doing so: perhaps I should just have followed the 'Love God Greatly' study, with its pretty memory verse cards.

Psalm 119
1 - 8
Amazingly blessed are those who stay on the tracks with God’s rules and laws.
Aiming for God’s best at all times, we strive to obey
Achieving, as we do so, near perfection.
Again and again you remind us to follow your regulations.
Abiding in your ways is my desire:
After all, thinking about your commands will help stop me from doing foolish things.
I applaud you for giving me a guide to follow for living a truthful life.
Acquiescing, I need you with me – I cannot do it alone.

9 - 1
By living according to your Word, God, I am helped to live purely.
Besieging you wholeheartedly, I don’t want to stray away from what you have told me to do.
By treasuring your words, I’m kept from sinning against you.
Be praised, Lord, and teach me what you want.
Bragging about everything you have said
Brings me to rejoicing, as if I’d suddenly inherited a great deal of money.
Brooding over your guidelines for a good life
Blesses me: I am so happy and so I determine NOT to neglect what you have told me to do.

17 - 24
Care for me kindly, Lord, so that I can live well, doing what you say.
Clear my vision so that I can see
Communicate your commands, as I am a stranger here
Consumed with longing for your laws all the time, I know those who
Contradict you, you rebuke.
Care for me when others scorn me for trying to obey your rules, for I
Concentrate on keeping your commands,
Considering your laws to be delightful, for they
Counsel me with great wisdom.

25 – 32

Dusty death is what my soul clings to, so give me life according to your word!
Declaring my troubles, you answered my prayers: now teach me your laws.
Don’t let me fail to understand what you teach; I want to ponder the marvellous things you have done.
Downcast with sorrow is my soul: please strengthen and encourage me!
Deceitful ways need to be kept away from me – be gracious to me, teach me what to do right.
Deciding on being faithful, I have set my heart on your law.
Determinedly following your ways, Lord, don’t let me be ashamed.
Dedicated to learn what you want me to do, help me understand more.

33 - 40
Educate me, Lord, to understand your law, and I will treasure it.
Enlighten my heart so that I can follow and obey wholeheartedly.
Encourage me to keep on keeping on, because that is my pleasure
Enable me to focus on your words and not to selfish gain
Enlarge my vision from worthless things and give me life in your ways
Confirm to your servant your promise that you may be feared
Excuse me from there reproach I am afraid of, for your rules are good
I am enchanted with your precepts; in your righteousness give me life!

41 – 48

Fill me with your steadfast love, your salvation, as you have promised,
For I trust your word and will have an answer for the person who torments me.
For my hope is in your rules, don’t take the word of truth out of my mouth.
Forever I will keep your law, continually, no stopping,
Finding your commands so that I can live freely, and, in
Front of those in authority, speaking about what you have done without shame,
For I find my delight in your commandments, which I love.
Facing toward your commandments, I WILL lift up my hands and I WILL meditate on what you have laid down in law.

49 - 56
Graciously remember the hopeful words you have given me, your servant.
Given life in your promise, I am comforted in my troubles.
Great is the derision I receive from the insolent, but I don’t turn away from your law.
Good is the encouragement I get from your rules, Lord.
Greedy, wicked people who disregard you fill me with indignation.
Going anywhere, your God songs – your words – sing in my heart.
Getting through the night, I remember your name: your character and identity, and keep your law.
Gracious blessing has fallen to me, that I have kept your precepts.

57 - 64

Having God is enough for me: I promise to keep your words.
Heartfelt, I beg for your favour; be gracious to me according to your promise.
Having paid careful attention as you lead me, I follow closely.
Hastening, I don’t delay to keep your commandments,
Holding on to your law, even as evil people try to trap me.
How fair your laws are! They make me wake up and praise you in the middle of the night.
Happy am I to choose as my friends, everyone who worships you and follows your teachings.
How amazing that your love is seen all over the world – teach me to follow your wisdom.

65 – 72 It sounds like it’s all about me...but really, it’s all about You, Lord.

I am your servant, Lord, and you have kept your promise to treat me with kindness.
I trust your commands, so give me wisdom and good sense.
I obey now, though once you corrected me for not obeying you.
I want you to teach me your laws, for you are kindhearted, and you do good things.
 I follow your teachings wholeheartedly, though my reputation is being ruined by conceited liars.
 I find happiness in your law, but those liars have no sense.
 It did me good when you corrected me, because it taught me to study your laws.
 I would rather obey you than to have a thousand pieces of silver and gold.

73 – 80
Just make me wise enough to learn what you have commanded, because I am made by you.
Joyfully I trust your word, so may others who also believe rejoice in you.
Justice was yours when you punished me: I know, Lord, that your decisions are correct.
Just comfort me with your love, as you have promised, because I serve you!
Joy is my desire when I obey your law; have mercy and let me live.
Judge the arrogant and put them to shame for wronging me without cause, because I have chosen to study your teaching.
Enjoin those who fear you to turn to me for evidence of your wise guidance, so they will learn to obey your rules.
Journeying on with my head held high and not be shamed, I want to be whole and holy, soul and body.

81 – 88
Keenly my soul faints with longing for your salvation,  but I have put my hope in your word.
Keenly my eyes look for your promise, almost failing:  I say, “When will you comfort me?”
I know your word, even though I am worn out from waiting.    When will you punish my persecutors?
he arrogant dig pits to trap me,
    contrary to your law.
Keep me safe, for I am being persecuted without cause: all your commands are trustworthy;
Killing me was their desire, but I have not forsaken your precepts.
Kindly, in your unfailing love preserve my life, that I may obey the statutes of your mouth.

89 - 96
Long-lasting as the heavens is your word, God: it lasts as long as the heavens.
Lasting through all generations is your faithfulness, just as you created the earth to stand firm.
Laws you have made are still in effect today, for all things serve you.
Loving your law brought me joy and helped me not to give up.
Life-saving are your wise words, and I will never forget the advice you gave me.
Let me belong to you: I have respected your laws, so keep me safe.
Licentious people lie in ambush to destroy me, but I’m only concerned with your plans for me.
Limits exist to everything because nothing is completely perfect except your teachings.

97 -  104
Meditating on your law all day, because I love what you have shown me.
Mulling over your words makes me wiser than my enemies.
Musing upon and absorbing your advice has made me become even smarter than my teachers
More understanding than those older than I are comes through doing what you tell me.
Minding your word is what I do, instead of following a way that leads to trouble.
Making detours from the route you laid out would be foolish, for you gave me such good directions.
Mouthwateringly sweet are your words to my taste, sweeter than honey to my mouth,
Making me understand your laws and so I hate lies.

105 – 112
Now your word is a lamp for my feet, a light on my path.
Needing to make sure I follow your righteous laws, I solemnly promise to do so.
Needled with pain, I ask you to save me, Lord, according to your word.
Now accept my praise of you and teach me your laws.
Night and day I take my life in my hands, but I will not forget your law.
Nasty people try to trap me, but I do not turn my back on your teachings.
Never do I want to lose what you have taught me, for your laws are my treasure and source of joy.
Now and for ever, I set my heart on keeping your decrees.

113 – 120
Oh, how I hate double-minded people, but I love your law.
Only you are my place of safety and my shield.  Your word is my only hope.
Out of here, you evildoers, that I may keep the commands of my God!
 Outstretch your arm to hold me up, my God, according to your promise, and I will live; do not let my hopes be dashed.
 Orders from you,  I will always have regard for: uphold me, and I will be delivered;
Overall, you reject all who stray from your decrees. They are only fooling themselves.
Obeying your laws is my passion: for you skim off the wicked of the earth like scum.
Over my whole body are shivers of fear, as I think of you and the way you judge.

121 – 128
Pursuing your law is what I have done: don’t hand me over to those who want to mistreat me.
Preserve me, and don’t let me be harmed by those conceited people.
Pursuing your promise to rescue me, my eyes are strained and weary, 
Please show me your love and teach me your decrees.
Perspicacity is what I, your servant, need, so that I can understand your statutes.
Present is the time for you to act, Lord, because your law is being broken.
Precious are your commands  more than gold, more than pure gold,
Perfect are your precepts: so I hate every wrong path.

129 – 136
Quite wonderful are your laws, and so I obey them.
Quick understanding is given to ordinary people by the teaching of your word.
Quenching my thirst with your commands, I open my mouth wide with expectation.
Quiet my heart with your mercy, as you are kind to everyone who loves your name.
Quickly guide my steps so I will not be overcome with evil.
Quell the oppression of evil people so that I can obey your commands.
Quietly smile at me and teach me your decrees.
Quickly, I break out into a storm of weeping when anyone disobeys you.

137 – 144
Righteous are you, Lord, and your laws are right,
Reliable and trustworthy in the extreme.
Reaching for your word, I am frustrated when my enemies neglect your teachings.
Reliable are your promises: that is why I love them,
Remembering your laws,  although I am lowly and despised.
Right, true and everlasting is your law.
Reacting under pressure and stress, your commands nevertheless delight me.
Rules made by you are always fair; help me understand them so that I may live.

145 – 152
Seeking you, Lord, I pray; please answer me.  I promise to obey your laws.
Save me,  so I can follow your rules.
Sunrise comes, but I have already prayed for your help, and I put my hope in what you have said.
Staying awake through the night, I think about your promise.
Show that you love me, Lord, and answer my prayer. Please do the right thing and save my life.
Schemes devised by the wicked, who are far from your law, are near.
 Still, you are near, Lord, and all your commands are trusted and TRUE.   
Studying your laws, I found out long ago  that you made them to last forever.

153 -  160
Turn your eyes to my suffering and deliver me, for I have not forgotten your law.
Take my side! Argue my case! Protect my life as you promised.
The wicked are far from rescue, for they do not bother with your decrees.
Trusting in your rules and laws for my life, I ask for your great mercy on me.
Troubled and persecuted by many, I still keep your laws unswervingly.
Those unfaithful people who refuse to obey you are disgusting to me.
Turn you memory to how I love your laws,  and show your love for me  by keeping me safe.

True and trusted are all your words; all your teachings will last forever.

161 – 168
Unfounded are the reasons that powerful people harass me,  but my heart trembles only at your word.
Unswervingly, I rejoice in your word like one who discovers a great treasure.
Unchanging, I hate and detest falsehood  but I love your law.
Unendingly I praise you for your righteous laws.
Uncountable peace have those who love your law,  and nothing can make them stumble.
Unfailingly, I follow your commands, for you are my only hope.
Unfailingly, I obey your statutes, for I love them greatly.
Unfailingly, I obey your precepts and your statutes, for all my ways are known to you.

169 – 176
Well may my cry be heard by you: give me the discerning mind you promised.
Well may you listen to my prayer; rescue me as you promised.
Willingly will praise flow from my lips, for you have taught me your decrees.
Willingly will my tongue sing about your word, for all your commands are right.
Wish to protect me, because I have chosen to obey your laws.
Waiting for you to save me, Lord, I am happy because of your Law.

Yet you will keep me alive, so I can praise you, and let me find help in your teachings.
Yes, I AM your servant, but I have wandered away like a lost sheep. Please come after me, because I have not forgotten your teachings.
     

No comments:

Post a Comment