Wednesday 6 May 2015

Humility. And being told what to do.

2 Peter 1:12 - 18

So I will always remind you of these things, even though you know them and are firmly established in the truth you now have...

Because the stakes are so high, even though you’re up-to-date on all this truth and practice it inside and out, I’m not going to let up for a minute in calling you to attention before it.


Reading this morning about powerlessness and humility in the spiritual life, where Henri Nouwen talks about being ready to follow Jesus wherever he guides them. (In the name of Jesus: reflections on Christian leadership.) I think about humility and about being able to accept being reminded of WHAT I ALREADY KNOW. 

Hmm.  I'm struggling at work with being reminded about what I already know, though my bosses do not, as Peter does, affirm this: they just keep on giving me new initiatives to try without particularly affirming what I am already doing.

Still. There is no harm, and a great deal of good, in being humble and accepting powerlessness. Not as 'someone with no spine' who lets other people make decisions for them, but actively following Jesus, accepting the leadership of those he has placed over me because God has put them there.

I don't like doing this. I don't like being TOLD, rather than asked, what to do. I don't like the feeling of being disempowered. I find myself demotivated and discouraged.

I am proud. But perhaps, if I CHOOSE humility, I can, in a small way, recognise that Jesus CHOSE to die on the cross. He was no helpless victim but a powerful, beyond brave and courageous man. I can try to follow his example.

So, as I make every effort to add to my faith, humility has to be foremost.


No comments:

Post a Comment