Thursday 25 September 2014

Preparation

Esther knows she can no longer sit on the fence, but must act. The law says that ANYONE who goes into the king's presence without being summoned must be killed, unless the king then gives permission by stretching out his sceptre towards them. Perhaps that could happen; but she doesn't know. She has decided to go to the king in an attempt to save her people's life and realises that, whatever happens, she is likely to die.

So, wisely, she decides to pray first, and asks Mordecai to pray with her in support. 
"Esther sent back her answer to Mordecai: “Go and get all the Jews living in Susa together. Fast for me. Don’t eat or drink for three days, either day or night. I and my maids will fast with you. If you will do this, I’ll go to the king, even though it’s forbidden. If I die, I die.
Mordecai left and carried out Esther’s instructions."

C S Lewis puts it like this: "I pray because I can’t help myself. I pray because I’m helpless. I pray because the need flows out of me all the time- waking and sleeping. It doesn’t change God- it changes me."

And fasting? Fasting really, really concentrates my mind on prayer...

Psalm 32:6 - 8 encourages me: we can come to God in trouble because, despite what we are like, he loves and forgives us.
"Therefore let all the faithful pray to you while you may be found;
surely the rising of the mighty waters will not reach them.

You are my hiding-place; you will protect me from trouble
and surround me with songs of deliverance.
I will instruct you and teach you in the way you should go;
I will counsel you with my loving eye on you.
"

Esther 4:15 - 17

No comments:

Post a Comment